Auto Pruning Disabled

Birds, animals, and avicultural items for sale. Premium Membership is required to post topics in this forum. Topics are auto-pruned if not posted to in 31 days.

Auto Pruning Disabled

Postby GBWF » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:21 am

Premium Members - There is a setting for the "For Sale & Wanted" sections in the forum that was set to auto-prune (delete) posts that had no activity for 30 days. I just disabled that setting and wanted to make everyone aware of this.

A few questions for the Premium members:
(1) Do you want your posts to automatically prune after a certain amount of time due to inactivity?
(2) If you do want the posts to be deleted automatically, how long do you wish for them to stay up?

Regards,
GBWF
GBWF
Site Admin

Re: Auto Pruning Disabled

Postby Mark HSV-AL » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Thanks for asking for our opinions, here is mine and I hope #4 doesnt go against what you are trying to do but the for sale forum on this site is as dead as I have ever seen it.
1. I never liked for my ads to be auto pruned
2. If ads are autopruned it would be nice if it was a 6 month cycle so that this site would get some traffic
3. I never liked for people to constantly "update" their ad by typing "updated" under it every single day so that their ad was constantly at the top of the list. Every few weeks was ok but a certain person on here updated his ad almost every day and never once actually made a change, he just typed "updated" to bump it. Most of the time he never had anything for sale, always said he was taking orders for next year. This would constantly push down ads that actually had something for sale. No rules against it though...
4. No real point in advertising on this site any more since you have to create an account and login every time just to see what is for sale. It kills the traffic and in my opinion the "For Sale 2017" and "Wanted" forums should be visible by anyone at anytime to make it worth advertising on here. Softbills for sale.net and Facebook are all free and if the "For Sale 2017" Forum is only available for registered users then it will get to a point where no one even looks at it.
Mark HSV-AL
Premium Member 2017

Postby mrwoodboat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:16 am

#4- log in each time, -OE13- there is a button immediately under the log in plate that if pushed will keep you logged in each time you visit, hope that helps
mrwoodboat
Premium Member 2017

Postby Mark HSV-AL » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:16 pm

#4 Hi MrWoodboat, You have to create an account to be able to even see the for sale section, that is the problem, logging in is the easy part. The for sale section should be visible to everyone, including people just visiting the site. Even the American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society allows its for sale section to be seen by anyone, check it out.. http://apwsbirds.com/bird-exchange
Mark HSV-AL
Premium Member 2017

Postby GBWF » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 am

Mark, thank you for your comments. The following are mine.

#1- Auto-pruning is disabled and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.

#2- 6 month suggestion noted. I hope we have to revisit this someday soon.

#3- Legitimate updates are one thing but bumping posts to "constantly" have your ad on top won't be tolerated. I may need to add verbiage in the forum rules about that.

#4a- I agree the classified section is as "dead" as it has ever been. Actually, the entire forum is pretty much dead considering the number of posts made in each of the other sections by registered users.

#4b- Requiring a person to register is currently the only way I can determine how many people actually visit the forum, regardless if it's the classified section or the other sections. Presently, we have 117 people that took time to become registered users. Without requiring registration, I wouldn't know that. Hopefully one day, I’ll be able to use this information to entice some company/entity to sponsor the website and do away with paid subscriptions. If you’ve noticed, I’ve stripped the entire website of all those flashy, yet annoying Google ads that once generated revenue for the site owner. APWS charges $35 for the privilege to advertise, Facebook sells ads, Soft-bills gets revenue from ads to help support the costs of hosting and building their web presence, but I digress.

#4c- A nice PERK about being a registered user is that Registered Users can receive notifications by email (if they select to activate this feature when initially visiting the classified sections) letting them know when new posts are made or when a reply to an existing post occurs.

#4d- The intent of the site is educational, not commercial. If the only reason folks visit the forums is to go to the classified section, well then, I guess that's going to be disappointing to some.

Mr. Woodboat,
Thank you for your input as well. I need to include that "helpful hint" so others realize that you can automatically log in by just checking the box you mentioned when signing in.

Look forward to hearing more comments, suggestions and concerns.

Regards,
Jerry
GBWF
Site Admin

Postby Barbara in NJ » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:06 pm

I was shocked to read there were only 117 registered members. I'm not a business person but it seems to me that is a long way off from a number that would attract commercial interest. I agree with Mark that it would be better to allow non-registered members access to the sale and wanted areas. It seems to me if people saw what some of the species of animals held by members are, they might be more inclined to register as members. When I started keeping exotic waterfowl about 12 years ago, this was a vibrant site and the source of much of my information. There aren't many keepers of exotic waterfowl in NJ! It was my "go to" site and I could always count on members to reply to my questions. I would love to see it regain some of that function. Isn't there some other way to track traffic?
Barbara in NJ
Premium Member 2017

Postby GBWF » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Barbara,
Thank you for your comments. We now have 150 registered members, however there is little to no activity in the forums other than the classifieds.

Perhaps the rest of the forum (other than the classified section) should be eliminated or maybe the entire forum should be removed and just make it an HTML website where folks can look at pretty pictures and descriptions.

Regards,
GBWF
GBWF
Site Admin

Return to For Sale 2017 (North America)