Pheasants & Peafowl
Francolin & Partridge
Guineafowl & Turkey
Organizations / Clubs
GBWF on Facebook
Photo by Charles Shi
Other Names: Harman's Eared-Pheasant, Elwe's Eared-Pheasant
Range: Southeastern Tibet, extreme northwestern India
Subspecies: Monotypic; sometimes classed and once known as
subspecies Crossoptilon crossoptilon harmani.
Habitat: Mixed coniferous forest and clearings
Description: Head and face much like crossoptilon with
shorter ear-coverts than auritum and mantchuricum. Overall
plumage color not unlike auritum, but with a white patch on belly
and rump much paler gray. Sexes are similar.
Status in Wild: Not well known, but believed to be locally common.
Status in Aviculture: As far as I know, this species is not
kept in American aviculture. I also do not know status in aviaries
overseas. If someone can shed some light regarding their status, please e-mail me.
Click on thumbnails for larger views.
(l to r):
Any help with photos would be greatly
appreciated; Please send submission requests here if you can help.
Bibliography and Further Reading
- Delacour, J. 1977. The Pheasants of the World. 2nd ed., World Pheasant Association and Spur Publications, Hindhead, U.K.
- De Schauensee, R.M. 1984. The Birds of China. Smithsonian Press, Washington D.C.
- Johnsgard, P.A. 1999. The Pheasants of the World: Biology and Natural History. 2nd ed., Smithsonian Press, Washington D.C.
- Madge, S., McGowan, P. 2002. Pheasants, Partridges, and Grouse. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
Links related to this species. Please note, links will open in a new window.
- Habitat use of Tibetan Eared Pheasant Crossoptilon harmani flocks in the non-breeding season - Xin Lu, Guang-Mei Zheng, Ibis, Volume 144, Issue 1, Page 17-22, Jan 2002.
- Reproductive ecology of Tibetan Eared Pheasant
Crossoptilon harmani in scrub environment, with special reference to the effect of food - Xin Lu, Guang-Mei Zheng, Ibis, Volume 145, Issue 4, Page 657-666, Oct 2003
- Tibetan Eared-Pheasant - The Oriental Bird Club Image Database.
- Wikipedia - Tibetan Eared-Pheasant - Wikipedia's species page.
Return to Pheasant & Peafowl